What is a Tooth Extraction? West Nyack Dentist Explains
A dental tooth extraction is the procedure to remove a tooth from your mouth. A dental extraction is most commonly required if one of your teeth is damaged beyond practical repair. The most common reasons for tooth extractions include:
• Severe tooth decay or infection may make it impossible or too costly to repair a tooth
• Advanced gum disease may required a tooth to be pulled so it doesn’t affect the supporting tissues and bone structures of your mouth
• A tooth may be extracted if it is blocking other teeth from coming in
• During orthodontic work, teeth may need to be extracted to create room for the teeth that are being moved into place
• Wisdom teeth are often extracted either before or after they come in
How is a Tooth Extraction Done?
Your dentist will first administer anesthetic to numb the area and reduce discomfort. You will feel the pressure of the tooth being removed, but will not feel any pain during the tooth extraction. Typically, the dentist is able to remove your tooth within a matter of minutes.
Immediately after the tooth extraction, a small amount of bleeding is normal and patch of gauze will be placed in the affected area. There may be some bleeding and swelling post tooth extraction, however this should be minimal, and limited to 24 hours or so, after which the bleeding will taper off. Follow your dentist's instructions on how often to change the gauze, and what other post-procedure steps to follow.
How Much Does a Tooth Extraction Cost?
Tooth extraction varies in cost depending on the severity of the problems encountered, however patients can help avoid the financial costs associated with large treatment plans later on by ensuring they get the tooth extracted as soon as possible. Kupchik Dental, serving West Nyack, New City, and the surrounding areas, offers affordable and professional teeth extraction.
Schedule Your Tooth Extraction Today! Call: (845) 535-3500